In just over a month, California has provided more than $5 billion in inflation-fighting money to eligible taxpayers who expect direct deposits or debit cards of up to $1,050. .
The Franchise Tax Board has distributed, according to its website, more than 6.7 million direct deposits and more than 2.5 million debit cards across the state since Oct. 7. The website will be revised weekly with new totals, the tax board spokesperson said. Andrew LePage in an email to The Bee.
The majority of direct deposits have been issued, he said, and the last eligible taxpayers can expect to see payments arrive in their accounts by Nov. 22.
If you think you should have had direct deposit sooner, first check to see if you 1. filed your 2020 tax return electronically and 2. received your refund via direct deposit.
Then, review your 2020 California tax return to double-check eligibility before contacting the Middle Class Tax Refund Customer Hotline at 800-542-9332.
New information for debit card recipients
Excluding holidays and weekends, the tax board typically sends between 150,000 and 200,000 debit cards a day to eligible recipients, Lepage said.
Debit cards started rolling out on October 24 and will end on January 14.
DEBIT CARD ELIGIBILITY
You should expect a debit card, according to the Tax Authority website, if any of the following are true for you:
- File a paper return
- Had a balance owing
- You received your Golden State Stimulus payment by check
- You received your tax refund by check, regardless of reporting method
- You received your 2020 tax refund by direct deposit, but you have since changed your banking institution or bank account number
- You received an advance payment from your tax service provider or you paid your tax preparer fee using your tax refund
Debit Card Sending Schedule
Debit card recipients should allow up to two weeks from date of issue to receive their payment in the mail.
Debit cards should have been mailed by Nov. 5 to former Golden State Stimulus recipients whose last names begin with AE. Here is the mailing time frame, according to the tax board’s website, for other previous Golden State Stimulus check recipients with FZ surnames:
- FM Surnames – will be sent between November 6 and November 19
- NV surnames – will be sent between November 20 and December 3
- WZ surnames – will be sent between December 4 and 10
NON-GOLDEN STIMULUS BENEFICIARIES
- AK surnames – will be sent between December 5 and December 17
The mailing schedule for non-Golden State Stimulus recipients with LZ surnames will be announced after Monday, November 21.
Eligible California taxpayers who have changed their banking information since filing their 2020 tax returns should expect a debit card to be mailed between December 17 and January 14.
This story was originally published November 16, 2022 10:26 a.m.